On Saturday 15 September 2001 10:38 am, Todd Gillespie wrote:

> Except of course that Ruby threads aren't kernel threads, and thus block
> on essentially everything you would want threading *for*.  So goodbye
> perceived performance gains.

My impression was that there is widespread use of select and async IO in Ruby
so that common operations (waiting for socket or file data, for instance)
wouldn't block the whole Ruby process. I remember being surprised by this
(this isn't the case in Perl). I could be wrong, though.

One usually wants threads (but not the whole process) to block on I/O; what
other blocking would happen that wouldn't be useful?

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA