On 9/2/06, Paul Lutus <nospam / nosite.zzz> wrote:
> Alder Green wrote:
>
> > Here's an example of what I'm looking for:
> >
> > http://www.users.on.net/~markwoodward/vim/linVim/ftplugin/ruby_cols.vim
> >
> > I can't use this particular one as it is aimed at people who use black
> > text over white bg, whereas I use white on black.
>
> Yipes. Oh well, to each his own. I gave up on white text on black background
> years ago when I discovered it caused me eyestrain and headaches during
> all-day programming sessions.

I guess white on black used to be very useful on the old screens that
had low contrast and refresh rate. Any background other than black
causes more flickering, any foreground other than white causes the
text to be harder to read because it is too dim.

But I find it much better to use dark background with lighter text.
Black is not good, I think it causes me to lose focus because there is
virtually nothing visible on most of the screen (such state also did
not exist on old screens).

> It should be pointed out that nearly all modern text colors presume a white
> background, now that that is the norm.

I suspect this came from word processing where black on white
resembles paper. But for screens that actually emit light I like dark
backgrounds better. I wonder how reflective screens will change this.

Thanks

Michal