unknown wrote:
> "Austin Ziegler" <halostatue / gmail.com> wrote:
>>Please don't pretend that either the forum or Usenet is prime here.
> Once you gateway it to Usenet, that *is* prime.  There are
> instantly *millions* of potential readers, plus it is archived
> and will be read by people decades from today.  Usenet eclipses
> anything a mailing list or a web forum is contributing,
> regardless of how it all began.

You do realize there are many, many, many more people that know how to
use a web browser than know how to use usenet?  Google indexes
ruby-forum.com.  It is MUCH easier and MUCH more useful to search google
than search usenet if you want answers about Ruby.  You will not only
get posts from this forum, but also from the rest of the internet.  So
from your own argument, the forum is prime.

In reality, the mailing list is prime.  It is apparently what most of
the regulars use, and they are the ones that answer the majority of the
questions.  When you want an answer, the number of potential readers
does not matter.  Only the number of potential (correct) responders
does.  That majority of those are on the mailing list.

Now, everyone keeps going on about 'if you want an answer, you'll have
to post in a certain way'.  This is not true.  I have not seen 1 post on
here that failed to get an answer because someone top-posted.  I've seen
plenty of 'don't top post' replies, but the majority of them were tagged
onto an answer.  If changing the format of your post doesn't change the
answer, how is the 'wrong way' ineffective?