On 2/9/2006, at 3:07, Chad Perrin wrote:

> I think that's one of the reasons that long-time C, Java, and Fortran
> programmers (among others) tend to view languages like Perl and
> Ruby as
> "only a scripting language": the code doesn't look complex enough
> [...]

While it may have something to do with it, it is, compared to C,
?only a scripting language? because you can only use it for a subset
of programming problems.

For example you wouldn?t write a parser, compiler, 3D engine,
something like zlib, openssl, or similar in Ruby (because of
performance), you can?t write device drivers, you can?t interface to
a lot of things (w/o writing bindings in, you guessed it, C) etc.