> For convenience, try this:
>
> /\w-/
>
> The special token \w translates into "A-Za-z0-9_", IOW uppercase and
> lowercase letters, numbers, and underscore, leaving only the dash to be
> included explicitly.

That definetly is much easier, like I said before, I am no expert at
RegEXP. I am trying to modify an image within a  custom directory
created with the person's username, and because Rmagick doesn't seem to
want to work, I will have to run /usr/bin/convert, and I feel uneasy
putting user inputted text in a shell, but this regExp should do the job
of sanitizing it. Again, thank you very much for helping a
misunderstanding novice like me.