Folks:

Could someone please straighten me out on how the Ruby community deals with
the simple issues of file names and path manipulation on Windows, preferably
in a cross platform way?

So far as I can tell, pathname.rb as distributed with 1.8.4 does not deal
with Windows paths.

(Comments within say it's unix-only, though the online docs at
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/ claim Windows support, but appear to be
extracted from wrong version of pathname.rb).

On the basis that there are many ruby programmers working on Windows and
presumably needing to actually work with files, I'm hesitant to conclude
that this area of functionality isn't covered somehow.

What gives?

Graham