"William Crawford" <wccrawford / gmail.com> wrote in message
news:6ca86814dd08dcb7f44275f3c327208a / ruby-forum.com...
> unknown wrote:
>> William Crawford <wccrawford / gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is not a "forum", it is Usenet.  There are *many* different
>> reading environments, some of which are entirely different than
>> that presented in a "forum".
>
> Forum or usenet (or mailing list), first is first.  Any decent usenet
> reader these days presents threads properly.

    This is not true.
    NNTP (usenet) has many properties in common with UDP.  The messages are
not guaranteed to arrive in order nor is there a guarantee that they will
arrive at all!  This has nothing to do with your news reader, either.  If
and when your new server recieves the post is beyond your control, hence
the evolution of usenet protocol...

> I think we're all guilty of ego-centrism here.  We all assume 'most'
> people are using this forum/list/newsgroup the same as we are.

    Speak for yourself...

> I've read this through ruby-forum.com (my preference) and tin
> (comp.lang.ruby) and I have not had any trouble understanding top or
> bottom posted stuff.

    You are, again, speaking for yourself...

>> This is not a "forum", it is Usenet.  There are *many* different
>> reading environments, some of which are entirely different than
>> that presented in a "forum".
>
> And some of them are entirely different than usenet.  Bottom posting
> like this is hard to read in some clients because there's nothing to
> visually identify the added parts, other than the > in front.  You have
> to skim, and sometimes read, old information over again before you are
> able to find the new information.

    Why is the > character insufficient for marking the quoted text?  Are
the clients of which you speak incapable of displaying newlines?  What's
with the skimming?

> Neither way is perfect, and some people are going to choose the one you
> don't like, or I don't like.  That's just a fact of life, and not worth
> complaining about anymore.  The war on top-posting was a stalemate.

    Life is not perfect but we go on living it.
    Bottom posting provided context to the new text that most people
appreciated.  Yes, you can't make everyone happy but you can try to make
the majority happy and it was exactly this majority that determined this
protocol.

    Just to make a point, I will post this message again with top posting
schemes and you I'll wait for you to tell me that they were just as easy to
understand.  I don't think you can do so, honestly...