Hi!

Can anyone tell me if Ruby's File.ctime can be reliably
used to detect if a directory's contents have changed?

I do not need to know of changes to files, just adds and
deletes of files to/from the directory itself.

I have tested this on FreeBSD and OpenBSD and both seem
to indicate my expected behaviour (although File.mtime
does not)--if anyone can try other platforms or knows
offhand, the information would be appreciated. Windows
is not a concern.

In case you are curious, I intend to cache the files under
$PATH and only re-access them if a modification has been
detected. Alternative solutions to this are also welcome.