On 9/1/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb / cesmail.net> wrote:
> *and* Instant Rails on a Windows box. I tried installing a source "gem"
> and it complained about not having "nmake", so I'm further along than I
> was. Visual Studio 8 aka express is already installed.

On full VC8/7/6 (I haven't tried the Express edition) there is a batch
file vcvars32.bat or vsvars.bat (depending on VC version) that sets
paths to nmake, cl, sets include paths, etc. in a cmd session call
this batch file prior to calling gem install.

You obviously don't need to do this, if you have nmake et al. on the
path already.

The dir where this file is located is something like
%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio XXX\VC8\bin.