Austin Ziegler wrote:
> On 8/31/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb / cesmail.net> wrote:
>> Well, I finally bit the bullet and installed the one-click installer
>> *and* Instant Rails on a Windows box. I tried installing a source "gem"
>> and it complained about not having "nmake", so I'm further along than I
>> was. Visual Studio 8 aka express is already installed.
>>
>> But then, I also installed Gentoo 2006.1 in a virtual machine today ...
>> it never hurts to have a Plan B. :)
>
> To get nmake etc. you'll need the Platform SDK (downloadable from a
> link on the VS8 Express website), and then you'll get that. Be warned
> that some source gems won't compile anyway, and even if they do, they
> won't all work well with the One-Click Installer, which is based on a
> much earlier compiler and runtime.
>
> -austin

I think I did download the SDK, or at least was offered the opportunity.
I had to move some "stuff" off the C: drive to make room, and I may have
forgotten to download the SDK in the process.

For what I'm planning to do with Ruby/Rails, it's not urgent that I be
able to build source gems. Right now, Ruby is a Perl
replacement/enhancement ... I'm the only one around that even cares
about Ruby, so I'm strictly using it only for one-offs that won't be
maintained by other people. Of course, I have to stop thinking in Perl. :)

The Rails application I have in mind is a little more interesting.
Again, since there aren't any other Rubyists around, I will need to be
careful, but Rails looks like a natural for it and I don't think there's
anything "Rails-like" for Perl.

While we're on the subject of One-click and Instant Rails, Curt ... is
there some reason there are two projects and not just one? I know
Instant Rails includes MySQL and Apache and carries an older version of
Ruby, but couldn't there just be one project -- "Instant Rails" -- with
the same version of Ruby and options to install MySQL, Apache, Rails,
FreeRide, Scite, etc.? Am I shooting myself in the foot by installing
them both?