On 9/1/06, Floyd L. Davidson <floyd / apaflo.com> wrote:
>> You know, the problem I have with this answer is that in a forum, the
>> first post was posted first...  And then the reply was posted, with the
>> first quoted.  Before or after, it doesn't really matter, since I read
>> the first post first.
> This is not a "forum", it is Usenet.  There are *many* different
> reading environments, some of which are entirely different than
> that presented in a "forum".

No, in fact, it isn't. What you're actually reading is the result of a
gateway. The primary source for this forum (ruby-forum.com/ruby) or
this newsgroup (comp.lang.ruby) is a mailing list:
ruby-tak / ruby-lang.org.

Please don't pretend that either the forum or Usenet is prime here.
They're alternative views on the mailing list, but both are gatewayed
to and from the mailing list.

Forum users: yes, mailing list people and Usenet people get pissed off
with top posters (r) contextless posters because we may *not* have the
originating message immediately in front of us, even with a threading
newsreader or mail reader.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca