Peter Hickman wrote:

> Problem is that from the quiz it states that you either get a 1 or an
> infinite loop and that an unhappy number is "obvious". Which is a sign
> that something has not been explained clearly. Given that the Wolfram
> page was clearer than the quiz at to what constitutes happy don't be
> surprised if some people go off down the wrong path.

As I understand the Wolfram article, an unhappy number never hits 1 as a
result, whereas a happy number eventually hits 1:

"Unhappy numbers have eventually periodic sequences of s(sub)i which never
reach 1."

The quiz item emphasizes a criterion that is only mentioned in passing on
the Wolfram page, that is, there are degrees of happiness, and a number
that has many happy predecessors is, umm, more happy. So a relatively large
number that eventually results in 1, but with a lot of steps along the way
(therefore more happy ancestors), is happier.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com