Isn't the root of the disagreement the fact that some of us only use the
web portal and others choose to get the email version of the the list?

In a web forum setting, one typically reads down a thread from top to
bottom and only occasionally needs to reference the quoted stuff when
the context isn't clear from what they read up above.

I assume that when getting the new posting in an email it would be
frustrating to get a long answer out of context, followed by a quoted
question or part of somebody else's reply.

The real question is why isn't either the web version or the email
version clearly superior to everyone?  The two are quite different
delivery systems, and yet there is no clear winner over time.  We
continue to have VHS and Betamax for eternity.  That's what strikes me
as odd.

jp