unknown wrote:
> William Crawford <wccrawford / gmail.com> wrote:
> This is not a "forum", it is Usenet.  There are *many* different
> reading environments, some of which are entirely different than
> that presented in a "forum".

Forum or usenet (or mailing list), first is first.  Any decent usenet
reader these days presents threads properly.

I think we're all guilty of ego-centrism here.  We all assume 'most'
people are using this forum/list/newsgroup the same as we are.

I've read this through ruby-forum.com (my preference) and tin
(comp.lang.ruby) and I have not had any trouble understanding top or
bottom posted stuff.

> This is not a "forum", it is Usenet.  There are *many* different
> reading environments, some of which are entirely different than
> that presented in a "forum".

And some of them are entirely different than usenet.  Bottom posting
like this is hard to read in some clients because there's nothing to
visually identify the added parts, other than the > in front.  You have
to skim, and sometimes read, old information over again before you are
able to find the new information.

Neither way is perfect, and some people are going to choose the one you
don't like, or I don't like.  That's just a fact of life, and not worth
complaining about anymore.  The war on top-posting was a stalemate.