On 8/31/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb / cesmail.net> wrote:
> Well, I finally bit the bullet and installed the one-click installer
> *and* Instant Rails on a Windows box. I tried installing a source "gem"
> and it complained about not having "nmake", so I'm further along than I
> was. Visual Studio 8 aka express is already installed.
>
> But then, I also installed Gentoo 2006.1 in a virtual machine today ...
> it never hurts to have a Plan B. :)

To get nmake etc. you'll need the Platform SDK (downloadable from a
link on the VS8 Express website), and then you'll get that. Be warned
that some source gems won't compile anyway, and even if they do, they
won't all work well with the One-Click Installer, which is based on a
much earlier compiler and runtime.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca