Austin Ziegler wrote:
> On 8/31/06, Timothy Hunter <TimHunter / nc.rr.com> wrote:
>> Or you could just ask those who've done it. Kaspar Schiess did the Win32
>> versions of RMagick for several years. With practice he got it down to a
>> 2-day task. Brett DiFrischia did the latest version, 1.13.0. That one
>> took 6 weeks. One of the biggest problems (AFAIK) is RMagick's configure
>> script, which has easily over 100 feature tests and of course doesn't
>> work at all on Windows.
>
> Sorry; I was specifically referring to making it work with the freely
> downloadable VC++8.
>
> There are some ... changes there which aren't pleasant to deal with.
>
> -austin
Well, I finally bit the bullet and installed the one-click installer
*and* Instant Rails on a Windows box. I tried installing a source "gem"
and it complained about not having "nmake", so I'm further along than I
was. Visual Studio 8 aka express is already installed.

But then, I also installed Gentoo 2006.1 in a virtual machine today ...
it never hurts to have a Plan B. :)