On 8/31/06, Alexandru Popescu <the.mindstorm.mailinglist / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/31/06, Austin Ziegler <halostatue / gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8/30/06, Alexandru Popescu <the.mindstorm.mailinglist / gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I agree with this, but I wonder if there is somebody that has
> > > succesfully compiler Ruby with VC8. I rember somebody has started this
> > > process (Austin is it you?), but never heard of the final result.
> >
> > I had actually started and I did get a running Ruby. But I had to do a
> > *lot* of extra stuff toward getting a working One-Click Installer
> > approach.
> >

> That's good to know, at least the result was not negative.
>
> > I have recently had time to install the appropriate development tools
> > on my laptop (my old Windows laptop, not a virtual environment in my
> > Mac, which I will be doing later), so I hope to pick this up again to
> > help with the effort we were talking with Microsoft about.
> >

> Please do so :-], till MS guys will not change their minds.
>
> I am a little puzzled by Nobu's comment:
>
> [quote]
> 64-bit ruby is binary incompatible with 32-bit ruby.
> So it isn't concerned with 32-bit One-Click Installer.
> [/quote]
>
> What does this mean?
>
> ./alex

I think he means that since 64-bit Ruby and 32-bit Ruby are completely
incompatible with each other, that it would not be necessary to choose
the same solution both. Meaning that it would be ok, for example, to
choose MinGW for 32-bit Ruby and VC++ for 64-bit Ruby.

I could be wrong, but that was how I read it.

Curt