The latest, Sept 1, stable snapshot won't build for me. I type './
configure' and everything looks OK. I type 'make' and it says
something about MINIRUBY and it starts running configure again. Here
are a few lines around 'make'

checking whether ELF binaries are produced... no
checking whether OS depend dynamic link works... yes
checking for nroff... /usr/bin/nroff
config.h unchanged
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
~/ruby $ make
MINIRUBY="./miniruby" /bin/sh ./config.status --recheck
running /bin/sh ./configure   --no-create --no-recursion
checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.7.0
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.7.0
checking target system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.7.0
checking for gcc... gcc

In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take.
-Adlai Stevenson, statesman (1900-1965)