nagai / ai.kyutech.ac.jp writes:

> From: Jim Menard <jimm / io.com>
> Subject: [ruby-talk:21083] Re: Is Ruby/Tk being maintained?
> Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 21:19:23 +0900
> jimm> I, too, have reported a bug here. What is the best way to get it to
> jimm> Hidetoshi Nagai?
>
> Yesterday, I subscribed ruby-talk ML. :-)
>
> # I can speek only a little English,
> # so probably my mail text is a broken English-LIKE text. Sorry.
>
> jimm> Here's the bug report:
> jimm> I've run into a mystery. I create a TkListbox and fill it with items. They
> jimm> display correctly. When I call
> jimm>     list.bbox(i)
> jimm> to retrieve the bounding box of item i, there is a problem. Only the 0'th
> jimm> item returns the bounding box. All others return an empty string.
>
> It is *NOT* a bug.
> If you want to get the bounding box,
> the target must be displayed on your screen.
> To display Tk widgets, you must run Tk's event loop.
> Your script has no event loop step.
> Therefore, you cannot get the right bounding box.

Thank you very much for that explanation. I have also found, after reading
the Tk documentation further, that if I call listbox.update() the rects are
returned properly.

Welcome to the list, and thank you for the Tk module.

Jim
--
Jim Menard, jimm / io.com, http://www.io.com/~jimm/
"Lead me not into temptation. I can find it myself."