On Aug 30, 2006, at 5:26 AM, hemant kumar wrote:

> I am using memcache-client written by beloved :) eric hodel for
> session
> caching in rails, and but I would like to use this for some in-memory
> caching in my other programs.
>
> I am not able to use it outside rails somehow. require 'memcache'
> throws, no
> such file to load, when I have the gem in
> "/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/memcache-client-1.3/ and rails is
> using it
> allright.

You probably forgot to require 'rubygems'.

> The API for memcache also doesn't make it clear, how do I use it in
> my own
> applications. can anyone clarify on this?

Start with the documentation:

http://dev.robotcoop.com/Libraries/memcache-client/index.html

How you use it in your own application depends upon what you want to
cache.

> Also, when using CachedModel for activerecord caching..how exactly
> it works?
> how often will it do read and write to db?

http://dev.robotcoop.com/Libraries/cached_model/index.html

CachedModel has write-through behavior.

> What exactly is meant by "in-process" caching that CacheModel does?
> Also the after_filter stuff that is supposed to flush the local
> cache in
> rails, I would like to know what is meant by "local cache" stuff
> and how it
> determines when to flush that content?

The local cache is just a hash.  If you don't flush it it will fill
up your memory with ActiveRecord objects.  I recommend not using it.

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com