Albert,

Sorry for getting to this email late, I had a huge backlog to sort
through...

On Sun, 2001-08-19 at 17:56, Albert Wagner wrote:
> I am re-evaluating Ruby/Gtk.  I assume that the gtk-brows, talked of in the
> docs, is really rbbr.rb.

Where (in the docs) does it refer to 'gtk-brows'?

>  I get messages similar to:
>
> $ ruby rbbr.rb
> rbbr.rb:1249:in `main': file gtkwidget.c: line 3242 (gtk_widget_set_state):
> assertion `widget != NULL' failed. (Gtk::Error)
>         from rbbr.rb:1249:in `main'
>         from rbbr.rb:1255

I'll take a look at this and see if I can fix it. If you have any more
information about this problem (or any other Ruby/GTK problems), send it
my way (and to ruby-talk).

> There is no gtkwidget.c in my installation.  Does this indicate that rbbr.rb
> does not work with ruby-1.6.4 and ruby-gtk-0.25?

Nope ;-) rbbr works fine for me, AFAICT. As Ned mentioned, the GTK+
assertion you're seeing refers to the location within the GTK+ source
code.

> Also, is rbbr.rb the only documentation?  Or is there an .rb file somewhere
> that contains the ruby interface to gtk?

I would recommend taking a look at the GTK+ reference API and the
tutorial. You can translate from C (object oriented - GObject) to Ruby
fairly easily. Let me know if you'd like some specific examples.

> Was Ruby/Gtk done manually, or using SWIG?

Manually. ~20,000 lines of C ;-)

> Examples are useful, but cannot
> be as comprehensive as a list of ruby methods w/args.

That's true, of course. You're free to contribute to improve the
documentation. ;-) But the truth is that 99% of your Ruby/GTK code will
just be wrappers over the underlying GTK+ functions. So the GTK+
reference API docs should be your first resource. When I first started
using Ruby/GTK, the lack of extensive documentation was a bit annoying.
But once you've had some practice translating from GTK+ (C) -> Ruby/GTK
you can do it almost automatically.

Any suggestions on how to improve the documentation would be welcome
(without duplicating the efforts of the GTK documentation project).

I hope you enjoy using Ruby/GTK.

Cheers,

Neil