On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Noam Noam wrote:

> Hi all,
> when i'm using pstore with multi-users:
> Permission denied - ../comments.dat.new
> it seems that more then one user is asking to use the same file.
> i tried to use synchronize  for locking the transaction until it finsh,
> but it seems that i can not using it when i using pstore.
> any one having any idea???
> Thanks.

pstore doesn't itself do any locking of any sort.

If you have multiple threads or processes that might try to use pstore on
the same file at the same time, you will have to handle the locking
yourself.

If you aren't on Windows, I suggest Ara Howard's lockfile.rb if you are
doing multiprocess work.  If it is multithreaded, you certainly can use a
mutex to synchronize access.

http://codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/lockfile/

However, permission denied suggests a simple file permissions problem that
locking will not solve, so I suggest you take a look at whether you might
accidentally be be creating the pstore file under a user or with
permissions that you don't intend.

Kirk Haines