Paul Robinson wrote:
> Why is machine translation so bad anyway? It's only changing one set
> of vocabulary and grammar for an equivalent set - it would seem that
> the biggest problem with most tools out there is ridiculously small
> foreign language dictionaries and tiny grammar rule sets. Very odd,
> and probably quite easy to fix.

I think language translation is up there with AI in terms of complexity.
Even if a machine can translate 80% (made up number) of grammar
rulesets, the results are still going to give you Bean Jam-like results,
everytime. Why? We're picky about this stuff - we'll stop incorrect
grammar and terminology and laugh at it and wonder "Why is machine
translation so hard?" :)

Trivial trivia: India - home of 1.2b people - has 1100 different spoken
dialects.