On Tuesday 11 September 2001 05:19 am, Max Ischenko wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm evaluating possiblity to use Ruby
> with embedded Linux system (x86, 16Mb flash, at least 32Mb RAM).
>
> Is it possible to trim interpreter by excluding some features?
> What are space/memory requirements? Are there any related benchmarks
> aavailable?

That's not a particularly small Linux system. The moderate size of the Ruby
interpreter should work fine in that environment.

Remember that Linux will share the code, as well as any shared libraries
required by Ruby.

I see 1260Kb RSS and 764K shared on my (CVS) version of Ruby.

Interestingly, Ruby seems to load libcrypt. Perhaps this dependency can be
removed, but I don't see any configure options to do it.

One thing that will help is to make Ruby do as much as possible. Use its
threading to your advantage here: you can have a single program where Perl
(for instance) would be forking multiple copies.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA