Hi all,

I'm working on an ssh script where I'd like to read out console
dimensions to adjust the output window - the default value of 80x24
isn't that good. ;)

So I thought it should work by simply reading out the environment
variables $COLUMNS and $LINES (Linux system). The results in irb were
what I needed:

===---===---===---===---===---===
irb(main):001:0> ENV['COLUMNS']
=> "99"
irb(main):002:0> ENV['LINES']
=> "32"
===---===---===---===---===---===

But in a ruby script these things didn't work anymore. A really simple
script:

===---===---===---===---===---===
#!/usr/bin/ruby -w

puts ENV['USER']
puts ENV['LINES']
===---===---===---===---===---===

This gave me the output:
frank
nil

Ok, that didn't work like I've expected it, so here is another way:

===---===---===---===---===---===
irb(main):001:0> lines = `echo $LINES`
=> "32\n"
irb(main):002:0> puts lines
32
=> nil
===---===---===---===---===---===

Now as ruby script:

!/usr/bin/ruby -w

lines = `echo $LINES`
puts lines

Well, also no success. :-/ It gave me only a blank line.

Does anyone have an idea what I could do to get column & line numbers of
the console window?

Thanks...

Frank