Paul Murton wrote:
> I have a whole load of objects which I would like to periodically dump
> as YAML. However, in order to save on resources, I would prefer to only
> dump those whose instance variables have changed since the last dump.
>
> Is it possible to somehow 'mark' an object when the value any of its
> instance variables is changed?

For the more "magical" way, you could play around with set_trace_func to
monitor setters. Would probably be horribly, terribly slow.

It's probably best to have your objects trace changes by design. Modify
the Object class to have a #dirty? and #clean! method, and alias /
redefine the #attr_writer method to generate methods that will set the
dirty flag when used?

David Vallner