William Crawford wrote:
> Mike Zink wrote:
>> Well, I've decided I'll be making my own scripting language, but this is
>
> Well, you've made up your mind, and I doubt I can change it, but I'd
> like to note that learning yet another scripting language just to play a
> game isn't in the cards for me.  As long as you were talking about Ruby
> being the language, I was very interested as Ruby is a new language for
> me that I plan to be using anyhow.
>
> Oh well.  Good luck with it!

Actually, what I'm going to try to do is make it pretty much a Ruby
clone, since that will make it a heck of a lot easier for me. What I
want to do is make a parser that will allow only certain functions and
such, then call them, but not with eval. So a user created firewall
might look something like this:

# this is a firewall that rejects packets with "trojan" found in them
trojan = Regexp.new("trojan", Regexp:IGNORECASE)
port = Port.open("1234")

while (session = port.accept)
  packet = session.get_packet
  if packet =~ trojan
    packet.destroy
  else
    packet.allow

That's just an example of what it will be like in a few days (I haven't
finished the parser yet). Here, a user could replace 'if packet =~
trojan' with 'if packet' and have an invincible firewall. I will of
course have to take the time to disallow such things with the parser,
but that won't be too hard.

Anyways, if you only wanted to play because you could kill people with
your awesome Ruby skills, you will still be able to, but I will try to
level the playing field by making it pretty restrictive. Not because I
don't want you to have fun, but because I don't want it to be the
easiest hacking game you've ever played.