Christian Neukirchen wrote:

>> I'm working on a project right now that uses five languages: GiNaC, C++,
>> Ruby, Python and SWIG. I need an IDE to help me with five different
>> syntax/semantics arrangements. I'm not even sure there *is* such a
>> beast, but I suspect KDevelop is close.
>
> No problem for Emacs
Yeah ... for some reason, I'm the kind of hard-core geek that's supposed
to *love* Emacs and I've never learned how to use it. Part of that is
because I moved from VAX/VMS/EDT to Celerity/BSD 4.3/csh/vi, and at the
time, Emacs had a (probably justified) reputation as a memory hog. When
you share an 8 MB machine with a half dozen other folks, that matters.
:) But dang it all, vim is evolving into Emacs anyhow, so maybe I should
bite the bullet. :)
.

>> I tried to learn the Squeak IDE and got terribly frustrated quickly. It
>> was so radically different from all the paradigms I was familiar with --
>> the mouse bindings alone were confusing beyond belief. Sure, I could
>> drag windows around on the desktop and click buttons and tabs, but that
>> was about it. I'm sure a Squeak programmer would have similar problems
>> with SwiftForth. :)
>
> (I've just discovered today that the Self IDE supports basic Emacs
> keybindings.  Mmmhhh... :)  Try it if your box can run it.)

I'm actually off on another Bunbury this weekend -- making C++ symbolic
math libraries work on Gentoo so I can attempt to hook them into Ruby
via SWIG. That's the project where I really need an IDE that speaks
Python, C++ and Ruby better than I do. :) Too many languages!!!