Mike Stok wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, John Tromp wrote:
>
>> The web page
>> http://www.nyx.net/~gthompso/quine.htm
>>
>> shows self-reproducing programs, aka "quine"s for many languages,
>> but Ruby is conspicuously missing.
>> What would be the shortest Ruby program to output itself?
>>
>> I don't suppose it could be as short as in python? :
>> l='l=%s;print l%%`l`';print l%`l`

Well, I just hacked one together:

x=%q/puts "x=%q\057#{x}\057;#{x}"/;puts "x=%q\057#{x}\057;#{x}"

Now that I look at them together, they look rather similar.  Hmmm...

It could have been a bit shorter, but I wanted to be able to pass it to the
interpreter on the command line.  I'm sure it could be shortened further.

Anyway, I submitted this one earlier, so at least we'll have an entry.

Incidently, the site accepts multiple submissions per language, so if you
create any interesting ones, submit them.

--- SER