On 8/25/06, Greg Donald <gdonald / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/25/06, Dark Ambient <sambient / gmail.com> wrote:
> > Congrats Curt.  Question though, why is a quick start guide selling for $30 ?
>
> Here it is for a bit less:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596101325/sr=8-4/qid=1156525193/ref=pd_bbs_4/103-3918823-7043036?ie=UTF8
>
> and even less:
>
> http://www.bookpool.com/sm/0596101325
>
> $20 does seem pretty high for a book with less than 200 pages.
> Especially since I just picked up Ruby Cookbook brand new from the
> used section on Amazon for $31 including shipping, and it's nearly 900
> pages.

More pages doesn't necessarily mean more value.  Some books are meant
to be the size of dictionaries (_ruby cookbook_) - others aren't.

The pragmatics' books are often pretty short (ie _Ship It_, _Pragmatic
Automate_, _Practices of an Agile Developer are all under 300 pages
IIRC), and yet they are almost always worth the $35 direct or ~$20
from Amazon.

- rob
--
http://www.robsanheim.com