On Aug 25, 2006, at 5:19 PM, darren kirby wrote:

> quoth the Hal Fulton:
>> darren kirby wrote:
>>> quoth the dblack / wobblini.net:

>>> Eh? Are you just poking fun at me or what?
>>>
>>> **kwargs collects them in a hash.
>>>
>>> Better?
>>
>> Haha... I don't think he was poking fun at you. He really
>> didn't know whether you were using a "real" future tense
>> or not.
>
> I thought for sure he was poking fun. I looked up a bunch of his
> previous
> posts and he certainly knows a lot about Ruby, so he must know that
> preceding
> a function/method definition arg with '**' collects them in a hash...

Darren-

	You must be thinking of python or something else. David was not
poking fun. **args is not legal ruby syntax currently:

irb(main):005:0> def foo(**bar)
irb(main):006:1>  p bar
irb(main):007:1> end
SyntaxError: compile error
(irb):5: parse error, unexpected tPOW, expecting ')'
def foo(**bar)
           ^
         from (irb):5
         from :0