------art_6386_6505144.1156532012229

On 8/25/06, Francois Beausoleil <francois.beausoleil / gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Josh,
>
> 2006/8/25, Josh Knowles <joshknowles / gmail.com>:
> > On 8/24/06, Francois Beausoleil <francois.beausoleil / gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Piston is a utility that enables merge tracking of remote
> > > repositories. This is similar to svn:externals, except you have a
> > > local copy of the files, which you can modify at will. As long as the
> > > changes are mergeable, you should have no problems.
> >
> > Nice work Francois!  After reading the website a question I still had
> was
> > how does Piston manage my local modifications?  Is there anyway to
> > version-control those changes, or do we need to stick with SVK for that?

Guessing here, but:

Piston copies the contents of the remote repository to your local
> working copy.  It then svn adds it.  So, you really have the files
> locally, ready to be changed / updated.

svn export url here
svn add here
svn propset merge-point 1234 here

When you update again, Piston copies the changes from the remote
> repository, and as an additional step, merges any local changes that
> have occured between the last update and this one.

svn propget merge-point here
svn diff -r1234 url | patch -p0
svn propset merge-point 4567

In this case, examples probably speak a lot louder than words.

> I'll write something up and put it on the web.

svk makes vendor branches very easy, too (and a lot more.)
jeremy

------art_6386_6505144.1156532012229--