On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 14:46 +0900, Joel VanderWerf wrote:

> So, to test this hypothesis, the OP could try to instantiate a large
> number of objects, and see if there is no effect on the vmsize reported
> by the OS, right? Because those objects should be able to use the memory
> that is owned by the process, but not used by ruby objects.

This is actually what I refer to in the no-Mutex situation.  Create a
ton of threads without a mutex in them and the ram goes away.  The
evidence doesn't support the claims at all.

Also the fact that the OS is killing these processes and swap is getting
used indicates that this is real memory being lost.

But, a reply from Kent Sibilev says this could be a bug in 1.8.4.  So
there's even more evidence that it is a leak.

--
Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/