--nextPart1200391.Mms6yP9lv3

Hello all,

A script I have written needs the ability to move files. I thought I would be
clever and use File.rename(old, newdir + new) but this is giving me an error:
`rename': Invalid cross-device link. I gather this is because I am renaming
the file to a different partition.

So then I found FileUtils and used:
require 'fileutils'
include FileUtils
mv( old, new)

This is working but seems an overly verbose and convoluted way to move a file.
I had a look at the fileutils.rb source and found this (for 'mv'):
# Moves file(s) +src+ to +dest+.  If +file+ and +dest+ exist on the different
# disk partition, the file is copied instead

So I guess my real question is: is there a technical reason or some arbitrary
reason there is no File.move() method that can handle this transparently? I
would think it would be quite useful...

Any insight is appreciated,
-d