On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:19:24 -0700, Trans wrote:

> Anyone here use SpiderMonkey / OSSP js?  I wondering how that works out as
> a standard (not strictly web oriented) programming language and how it
> compares to using Ruby in that regard.

Whats there to wonder? Its javascript (=ECMAscript), standalone (instead
of browser based interpreter).

Its a simple c-syntax like scripting language with pseudo OO like
features thats IMHO painful, limited and clunky to use and I dont see why
would anyone want to use it for programming anything but web client apps
when alternatives like Ruby exist. Hell programming in java would be more
fun and productive!

The fact that on the project page the developers write things like
"JavaScript is a great programming language" makes me dubious of their
judgement - IMHO JS is mediocre scripting language -must be written by
some young whippersnapper cs-student.

To get the full monty on JS google up 'ecmascript reference'.

GRR