On 8/23/06, kandlinger / gmx.de <kandlinger / gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello, I am currently developing a webshop which uses a c/c++ shared
> object/dynamic link library for some functions. Currently I am
> evaluating which technology I should use. As I've got  a completely
> free choice I was thinking of Java Server Faces or Ruby on Rails. I
> never used Ruby on Rails before, so my question is: How big is the
> support of Ruby to access a c/c++ shared object/dynamic link library of
> which i only got a c/c++ header file ?

Actually, it's incredibly easy to write C extensions for Ruby,
compared to many other languages. The file README.EXT in the Ruby
source distribution explains how this can be done, and compared to
languages such as Perl (which uses a small domain-specific language)
and Java (JNI is also messy), it is quite simple.  Which is why too
many people don't consider Ruby's general slowness that big a problem;
it is easy enough to write C extensions for speed-critical portions of
the code.