why the lucky stiff wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 12:17:42PM +0900, Ben Johnson wrote:
>> Also the reason I am asking is because I did some tests and came to find
>> out that curl is quite a bit faster than the HTTP library. Is this true,
>> maybe my tests were distorted, but curl seemed to be quite a bit faster
>> in initializing the connection and downloading.
>
> The cURL library is indeed very fast, but it also suffers from a problem
> that
> Net::HTTP suffers from: its DNS lookup is not asynchronous and will
> block your
> process.  To overcome that, you'll need c-ares[1], which will probably
> also need
> to be wrapped as an extension.
>
> In my experience, Net::HTTP actually performs much better when you use
> Ruby's
> non-blocking DNS resolver:
>
>   require 'resolv-replace'
>
> I wrote a cURL extension and benchmarked it against Net::HTTP with
> resolv-replace and wasn't completely impressed with the speed
> difference,
> so I abandoned the extension.
>
> _why
>
> [1] http://daniel.haxx.se/projects/c-ares/

What do you mean by the DNY lookup is asynchronous and will block my
process? If I was to call curl directly from the command line using
`curl` in ruby wouldn't that be much faster. In this instance it wo uld
get it's own process and take better advantage of a dual processor
system. Am I correct, because what I planned on doing was just using
curl directly from the command line unless there is a downside to this.