Paul Lutus wrote:
> Matt Coffman wrote:
>
>>> James Edward Gray II
>>

>> Actually the entire thing - I am currently using VEDIT to work through
>> this.  I am a newbie to Ruby and wanted to give it a shot.
>
> Give what a shot? When you go on a bear hunt, do you tell someone else
> to go
> get the bear for you, while you wait in the lounge?
>
> Your first post specified this goal:
>
>> I have two files - call them big.txt and small.txt.  My goal is to have
>> a list file and remove any lines in the big file that exist.
>
> Is that your goal or a goal for your alter ego, who is now out looking
> for a
> suitable bear?
>
>> Thanks in advance
>
> You are welcome in advance.
>
> People learn to write computer programs primarily by writing computer
> programs, not by asking other people to write them.
>
> You need to realize that those with some Usenet experience, when reading
> message like yours, instinctively ask themselves, "Is this someone
> trying
> to avoid doing his own homework?"
>
> In order to become as rich as, say, Bill Gates, you must first learn how
> write computer programs. Remember that Bill Gates once actually wrote
> computer programs, by himself, and he was rather good at it. He didn't
> ask
> someone else to do the programming (at least, not at first).
>
>> My goal is to have
>> a list file and remove any lines in the big file that exist.
>
> ... and a good first step would be to specify the problem with perfect
> clarity.
>
> Please understand that people on this newsgroup would leap at the chance
> help someone who is sincerely trying to learn Ruby. All we need is a
> sign
> that you are sincere.

As stated in my last post - I was looking for guidance.  My sincere
apologies if it appears I am looking for someone to code for me.  I am
new to this and I obviously lack certain skills - communicating my
problem being one of them.  I appreciate your candid response but I
don't think the lecture is necessary.