On Aug 22, 2006, at 9:10 AM, Just Another Victim of the Ambient
Morality wrote:

> "Chris Gehlker" <canyonrat / mac.com> wrote in message
> news:C1967BEB-2E20-488B-9977-5EA3B9CB1AC3 / mac.com...
>>
>> On Aug 22, 2006, at 5:30 AM, Just Another Victim of the Ambient
>> Morality
>> wrote:
>>
>>>     Has anyone noticed this?  How do you deal with this issue?
>>
>> I must be missing something. i can't see why you didn't just ask the
>> debugger by typing <parametername>.class
>
>     That's a good question...
>     I wasn't looking at the source at runtime...

Aha, I interpreted "I was debugging..."  as "I was running the debugger"

> I could have run it and
> stuck a breakpoint but that's when the problem occured to me.  In a
> hypothetical case, the code might be hard to execute.  Indeed, if
> you're
> looking at someone else's code then you might have no clue as to
> how to
> execute it.

True, but I don't see how static typing would help in this case.

> You could write some code to call it directly but that
> wouldn't give you insight into how the method is used.

But there are times when you can figure out how to call the code that
calls the code without starting from the very beginning.

>     In my case, the debugger is really slow and it would have taken
> quite a
> while to reach the breakpoint...

True, the debugger is sometimes very slow when executing up to a
breakpoint. Sometimes I fall back on print statements.

---
Neither a man nor a crowd nor a nation can be trusted to act humanely
or to think sanely under the influence of a great fear.

-Bertrand Russell, philosopher, mathematician, author, Nobel laureate
(1872-1970)