"William Crawford" <wccrawford / gmail.com> wrote in message
news:57036c1aad7647e52b065dfd52ead3aa / ruby-forum.com...
> Just Another Victim of the -spam trigger removed-t Morality wrote:
>>     The problem is that dynamic typing, while very powerful, also hid
>> the
>> intent of the method.
>
> For preventing the problem, my answer is the same as everyone else's...
> Good naming techniques.
>
> For figuring them out...  Unit Testing!  If it doesn't already have some
> tests, write some.  As Francis said, you'll get some informative
> messages back.  It's kind of a perversion of unit testing, but I often
> use it to quickly experiment with classes I don't completely understand.
> Once I can make working tests for something, I usually understand it
> pretty well.  And I've always got them to look back at in case I forget
> how I managed to make it work.  (Without hunting through tons of code.)
>
> As for static typing...  I feel your pain.  It's heresy, but I prefer
> static typing.  Inheritance provides everything I need that Duck Typing
> does for me.  (At least, so far.  I'm really new to Ruby.)
>
> -sigh- Victim, your name triggers the spam filter here.  Am I the only
> one annoyed by this?

    Yeah, I'm sorry about the spam filter.  I've been using this name for
about a decade now and I'm a little reticent about giving up my anonymity
(although, really, now anonymous can I be after using the same name for so
long?).  At least it's a fairly unique name to search for in google news.
You can see how helpful (or not) I've been during my entire usenet career!
    If your spam filter was triggered, how did you come to read my post?
    I'm also interested to hear if anyone else is annoyed by my name...