On 8/22/06, Phrogz <gavin / refinery.com> wrote:
> Just Another Victim of the Ambient Morality wrote:
> > I've been watching this thread intently and I don't recall anyone being
> > abusive or even close to it.  Could you site an example?
>
> Personally, I perceived the beginning of Philip's original terse
> response as containing a little bit of the holier-than-thou attitude
> the OP was referring to:
>
> >> I was surprised to find the following...
> > Really? Take a comsci course at uni
>
> That could be interpretted as:
> "Are you so much of a dumbass that you don't even know what a hash is?
> Try going to school, moron."
> or far more kindly as:
> "Interesting. What you find confusing actually makes perfect sense to
> me. That's how I was taught hashes behave, anyhow."
>
> Blame the impersonal nature of the written word.
>
> (My intent here is not to attack Philip, but instead to provide an
> example of how the original poster might have felt that some responses
> had a bit of 'attitude' to them.)

I blame deadlines, insufficient caffeine and cold weather :P

My intent was that the poster should find information about the
meaning of the word 'hash' in computer science, as it would explain
the entire issue they're having.

PHP has associative arrays, which are completely different from
hashes. As for JavaScript, objects appear to retain their keys in
insertion order, but objects aren't hashes.

I've spent the past two years hacking away with PHP and JavaScript. I
get to do Python next, yay!
--
Phillip Hutchings
http://www.sitharus.com/