On 8/21/06, Just Another Victim of the Ambient Morality
<ihatespam / rogers.com> wrote:
>     I think what you are thinking of is a red black tree (or just a binary
> tree, in general) and not a hash...

No, people are thinking of an associative array or an association list
as someone else called it in this thread. I'm not sure about r/b
trees, but binary trees are most *definitely* not what is wanted since
what is wanted is insertion order in most cases, not an arbitrary
sorted order.

>     Honestly, complaining that hashes aren't ordered is like complaining
> that rand() doesn't return the same number every time.  Pray tell, what
> made you think it should be ordered?  That was an honest question, by the
> way!  You know enough about programming to come here and decree that this
> is very weird yet you didn't already know what a hash is or how one works.
> Very strange...

PHP's "array" is an associative array allowing "hash"-like handling
with an ordered iteration. That's probably the source of 99% of the
reasons that people want it.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca