--nextPart64258123.GJMuTItW9Z

quoth the Matt Todd:
> @Darren:
>
> Actually, you can declare an attr in the module and it will work as an
> instance variable in the class it's mixed in. For example:
>
> module QAPrototype
>   attr :_methods_added
> end
>
> That's what I did.

Thanks for the tip. I was reading the section on mixins in the pickaxe book=
,=20
and tried doing it with an instance variable, but the code examples led me =
to=20
believe that the attribute could only be set/read within the including clas=
s=20
itself. Coupled with the fact that I was getting "No method '[]' for=20
Nil:Nilclass" (which I gather now was unrelated) I settled on the global=20
solution...

> Also, print does work with one liners, but you need to flush out the
> buffer each time you print the one line with
> <code>$stdout.flush</code>. (Thanks to to cool folks in #ruby-lang for
> that info.)

What I mean here is that after I split the string which describes the metho=
d=20
to an array for pretty printing my subscripting only works if the method=20
definition is 2+ lines of code (the 'def foo' and 'end' lines are freebies)=
,=20
to make a total of 4+... =20

An artificial limitation I know, I will fix it when I add consideration for=
=20
method args. After reading a couple other solutions it seems much easier to=
=20
add this than I had imagined.

As for #ruby-lang, I have to agree. Someone in there saved my bacon too...
Coming from more of a Python background, my first instinct to tackle this=20
problem was to overload/redefine the "NoMethodError" exception to get it to=
=20
run my code. This, of course, didn't get me far, and I was directed=20
to "method_missing".

I guess I should just read the built in/standard lib docs strait through so=
 I=20
will get a sense of what all methods are available...  =20

=2Dd
=2D-=20
=2D Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972