M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> I once had a boss who claimed to have worked on an IBM 1620. I think he
> was trying to impress us as being a "real programmer just like us." The
> lab where I worked on a 1620 got rid of it in 1964 ... I'm guessing he
> was in junior high school then. :)

The 1620 was still a state-of-the-art product in 1964, and was IBM's
only desk-sized machine of the era. If your lab dumped one, it was not
for obsolescence; its niche successor, the 1130, was still in the future
-- and the 1130 was not compatible at all with the 1620, so upgrades
were slow and cautious. (Many 1620s were instead eventually upgraded to
S/360-30 mainframes, which offered a 1620-compatibility option.)

--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres