Nicholas Parsons wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> I'm new to Ruby and this group.  I was hoping that someone could lend
> a helping hand involving the irb interpreter packaged with ruby
> version 1.8 on Mac OSX.  I would like to import or load some classes
> that are defined in a separate .rb file on my hard disk into an
> interactive session of irb.  I tried invoking the load() function
> with '~/classes.rb' as a parameter.  The interpreter gave me a 'true'
> value in response.  But when I tried to create an instance of one of
> the classes defined in the file I got a undefined class error from
> irb.  I also tried using the require keyword with the same path in
> quotes to load that class file and it produced the same results.
>
> So, can anyone tell me how to import those class definition ruby
> files into the irb interpreter or at least point me in the right
> direction on where to find documentation online for the irb
> interpreter itself?
>
> I appreciate everyone's help in advance.

One thing to try is load '/home/myname/classes.rb' or,
alternatively, load File.expand_path('~/classes.rb').
Wildcards generally cause problems with filename
strings unless expanded.

Not sure why you are getting 'true' unless it is actually
finding the file--it could of course be that the file itself
is missing something or you are not accessing the namespace
or something.