Robert Dober wrote:

> Hal
> all you are saying is true BUT
> I do not think we should blame C for something which really is not nice.
> I know not many share my opinion but the brave speaks out nevertheless ;)
>
> IMHO the interpreter should raise an expression when a String is passed to
> %d (as you asked OP rightfully not to do so).
> Early Failure, please, *early*.

I see your point. Truthfully, I think automatic conversion of a
string in this case is probably a bad idea. And that is a Ruby
issue, not a C one.

> BTW who is talking about sprintf I am talking about "%" a very rubish
> construct.

But  format % array behaves the same as sprintf(format,*array)

The specifiers are the same (and the same as C, perhaps with a few
minor differences).

Hal