Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:

>     I have seen this same issue on windows before. ZoneAlarm interferes
> with ruby's socket access. You need to uninstall ZoneAlarm and it  will
> work fine. Just disabling Zone Alarm will not work , you have to
> completely uninstall it.

Interesting. I have ZA installed on two different WinXP boxen, and a
now-gone Win2k box, and never had an issue with Ruby getting out to the
Internet.

However, a recent version of ZA was annoying in one way or another, so I
rolled back to a previous version.  So perhaps the more current versions
are  Ruby-hostile,  but it's never been an issue for me.

--
James Britt

"If you don't write it down, it never happened."
  - (Unknown)