On 8/18/06, Carl Sampson <carl.sampson / gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two machines that I would like to make sure have identical ruby
> environments.  Is it sufficient just to sync the /usr/local/lib/ruby
> directories and that will make sure the same gems, etc. are installed on
> each?  Are there any other locations where settings, etc. are stored?

I don't think so - I have quite a lot of stuff in /usr/lib/ruby. What
OS are you running on?
If something Debianesque, you might want to:
dpkg -L ruby
dpkg -L libruby1.8

- assuming you used apt-get to install it. Then again, since you have
ruby in /usr/local, I suppose you compiled it. If that is the case,
you can use something like "checkinstall" to track where all the files
go when you run "make install".

Here's an example:
http://www.lesismore.co.za/eclectica/show/CheckInstall

Checkinstall will create a .deb for easy installation and removal, and
once so installed you can run dpkg as above to see where everything
went.

Les