On Aug 19, 2006, at 9:20 AM, Krazy Man wrote:

> Hey all, I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could help me with this
> problem.
> I'm running the latest Tiger update on a MacBook, and am trying to fix
> my ruby installation. I've installed ruby gems and the fixrbconfig
> gem,
> but when i run it I get this error:
>
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.0/ruby.h does not exist.  This
> probably means you haven't yet installed Xcode from the Tiger DVD.
> You
> won't be able to compile Ruby extensions without it. Please install it
> then rerun this program.
>
> That is because I have a universal-darwin8.0 directory. I've tried the
> linking fix
> here:http://www.smallroomsoftware.com/articles/2006/02/26/setting-
> up-ruby-on-rails-and-fastcgi-on-mac-os-x-server,
> but it didn't work, i still get the same error.

The easy way is just to go to:
<http://ruby-lang.org/en/> and download the latest stable or stable
snapshot version of Ruby. Build and install it by cding into the ruby
directory and then doing:

./configure
make
make test
sudo make install

Finally make 3 text files in your home folder that will be invisible
in the Finder. One will be named .bash_profile and it will contain
the line:
source .bashrc
The second file will be named .bashrc and will contain:
export CLICOLOR=1
export RI='-T -f ansi'
##
# DELUXE-USR-LOCAL-BIN-INSERT
# (do not remove this comment)
##
echo $PATH | grep -q -s "/usr/local/bin"
if [ $? -eq 1 ] ; then
     PATH="/usr/local/bin:$PATH"
     export PATH
fi

Finally, make a file called .inputrc containing
set completion-ignore-case On

It's a good idea to end each of these text files with a carriage
return. Some of the above has nothing to do with Ruby per say but it
does have to do with making unix tools usable on HFS+. Other things
are more complex than they need to be just for OS X but I find that I
can carry these files around with me and they work on other unixish
systems.

HTH
--
Vegetarians eat Vegetables, Humanitarians frighten me