On Aug 18, 2006, at 9:05 PM, Paul wrote:

> To keep rails from reloading the class every time you
> can change the ..\config\environments\development.rd file.

You really, really don't want to do this.  Trust me.  ;)

You've already noted that this makes development mode suck.  If you
go this way, you will need to toggle the setting every time you need
it to work or go without Rails's best development feature.  Ouch.

That should be reason enough, but it gets worse!

Depending on how you deploy your application, it's quite likely you
could have two or more separate interpreters running your production
code.  These will *not* share class variables.  This is the way of
pain and could be a source of all kinds of nasty issues.

If you need to remember a value in Rails it needs to be in the
database or the session.

James Edward Gray II